If you read the post from two days ago, you know that we had a sad weekend saying goodbye to Kathy Bowers. But the up side was that several friends from Charlotte came to Gaithersburg to attend the funeral. Two friends stayed with us (Carolyn Honea and Lizzy Parks), and we also had fun at Denny's with Ray and Jenny Mulligan. It was great to have all these friends around for the weekend. On Saturday, Carolyn, Lizzy, and I took the metro into D.C. to see some main attractions. We went in at about 4pm, so most of the museums were closing by the time we actually got into the city, but we walked from the Smithsonian Metro to the Lincoln Memorial and back, stopping by the World War II memorial and the Washington Monument. Since the last time I was in D.C. was YEARS ago, it was fun to see these famous sites that I only vaguely remember. After we got back to the metro station, we headed to Georgetown, an historic district of D.C. Unfortunately, unlike New York, the metro stops aren't particularly near anything of interest, and are all pretty spread out. It was getting too dark to walk down to the Potomic River, but we did ask a college-age person a suggestion on a cheap local place to eat. So we dined at the "Froggy Bottom Pub," apparently a favorite among young locals. Needless to say, our adventure to D.C. was fun, although we were all pretty tired from walking when we got back home. I think my "city edges" have softened a little after two years of Southern Living :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
Your little apartment is charming! You have definitley turned it into a cozy little home in a short period of time. I'm sure this blesses Nick to no end, to be settled that way. Jonathan is the fastest person at ridding us of boxes. On our move out here, I think it took us 3 days to get all boxes empty and taken away!!!
Your adventure in DC sounds fun! Jonathan & I did that last November for a wedding at the SG Fairfax church. I loved it, although we visited at night too.
Email ya soon! Love you guys!
Post a Comment