Friday, September 29, 2006

Autumn

This morning when I stepped outside I breathed in a fresh intake of crisp autumn air. How delightful! Beautifully sunny all day, this day truly feels like autumn is here. How thankful I am to the Lord for his creativity in making the different seasons! After getting home from a delightful morning walk, I set to the day's task: homemade bread and trying my hand at making and canning apple butter. The bread is on its second rising as I'm writing this, and the apple butter seems to have turned out splendidly! I didn't have an actual canner or canning rack (or utensils, for that matter), so I jerry-rigged my own system. I put my strainer/colinder sitting inside a big stock pot for the canning rack, and used kitchen tongs to move the jars in and out of the boiling water. I could only do 2 jars at a time this way otherwise they would tip over, but it seems to have worked! I set one jar aside for tonight, so we can enjoy warm bread and apple butter...mmmmm!

2 comments:

Denise said...

You're quite the little homemaker! I love the fall displays pictures, and homemade apple butter sounds really delicious (even though I don't like it personally). I prefer pumpkin butter!

Taylor Family said...

There's another way to do this that doesn't involve boiling the full jars, but I don't quite remember it. Something about having the product boiling and filling the jars almost to the top and letting them seal themselves tight by cooling? Something like that. Craig Johnson was descibing it to me the other night.