Recently I have allowed myself to become anxious when I think about becoming a mother, and I realized this morning that it is really a lack of trust in the Lord. He gives me grace each day. His grace is sufficient, and he is most glorified in my weakness. I'm learning to give up every detail to the Lord, even in the privacy of my thoughts. He doesn't just want me to SAY that I trust him for the future, he wants me to BELIEVE it with my whole being! He has always been faithful, and He will continue to be faithful every day of my life! Here are Elisabeth Elliot's "Rules of Contentment," that I find quite challenging and inspiring... I have reworded them a little bit for clarity.
RULES OF CONTENTMENT
1. Allow yourself to complain of nothing, not even the weather.
2. Never picture yourself under any circumstances which you are not.
3. Never compare your own lot to that of another.
4. Never allow yourself to dwell on the wish that anything be different than it was or is. God almighty loves you better and more wisely than you do yourself.
5. Never dwell on the morrow. Remember that it is God's, not yours. The heaviest part of sorrow often is to look forward to it. "The Lord will provide."
3 comments:
When I was pregnant with Wesley and thinking about becoming a mother, taking my thoughts captive was so important for me, or else I would go down paths of fear or anxiety (especially since the pregnancy was unplanned). But focusing on the TRUTHS that God had ordained this as the perfect time in my life to have a baby and that his grace would help me even though I felt so unprepared gave me faith. And his grace far exceeded my expectations when Wesley came.
Although fear isn't as big a struggle for me this time around, I still find myself sometimes struggling with anxious thoughts like, "How will I cope with the sleepless months while taking care of TWO children?!" And the same truths still apply today.
wonderful Reba! I so respect you for taking your heart to task and expressing your challenges with humilty. What a precious work God is about doing in your life. I myself plan to print out these "rules" for my life--they will be helpful to me.
I love you! Jenny
Reba!! thanks so much from coming to my game thursday!! Your 5 things about contentment was really provoking! I had to write them down so i can learn from them! :) oh and i cant wait for you to have your baby!!! I'll come over and help you when ever you need me too!!
Julie :)
Post a Comment