Monday, February 05, 2007

A long night...

I knew it would probably come eventually- that is, a night of no sleep. Well, last night little Kathryn didn't go to sleep until 4 am. After a week and a half of pretty predictable waking once a night to nurse, we were a little thrown for a loop as to what to do. What a good opportunity to receive grace from the Lord (something I'm seeing in retrospect...I was not quick to say that last night in my bleary-eyed state of emotions.) I think she has been going through a little growth spurt the last few days, as attested to the fact that she weighed 7 lbs 7 oz. at the doctors today! Up from 6 lbs. 12 oz. in a week! A night like last night is a good reminder that I don't have everything under control, and that's ok. As it turned out, she ended up falling asleep laying on me on the couch, so even if I didn't get much sleep over the night, I got some good cuddle time (and eventually I fell asleep too). Thus begins the long-term process of laying down my life for my little one (and ones to come!) I think a night with little sleep proved to show how selfish I am, and it is a good reminder to look to the Lord for strength. And even though it was hard in the moment to be almost asleep and having her start crying several times, the neat thing is that it really doesn't seem like that much of a sacrifice. I would not trade a day away of having the new responsibility of caring for our daughter. Maybe that's God's way of lavishing grace on new moms? :)

3 comments:

meghann said...

hey sweetie! remember these early morning feedings wont last long! I have quickly forgotten them and it hasn't been that long ago! now we ALL enjoy sweet slumber! check out my blog....I felt left out:)

Anonymous said...

I'm a tiny bit envious that you enjoyed only one night nursing for a whole week! ;) You have a great perspective on last night...I know how hard it can be...but like you said, God is calling us to learn selflessness, and thank goodness he fills our hearts with love for our babies so that it can be a sweet lesson. And, night nursing is VERY important to establishing your milk supply during the few few months.

Jeanie said...

Hey Reba...I knew you'd love being a mommy! I'm glad you are enjoying your little sweetie. We need more pictures of the beauty :) I love you!