"Hypocrisy and slander are not the only sins of the tongue. There is the sin of egotism. We love to hear ourselves talk and to present our own judgments intrusively...One meets with people in the world who never seem to have made the wise man's observation that 'there is a time to keep silence.' ...Since the sin is linked to many words, it is surely wise to hold our tongue- not in silence, but in caution; to weigh our words before uttering them; never speaking except when we have something to say; speaking only just enough; considering the time, the person, and the circumstances." Charles Bridges
How truly convicting, Mr. Bridges! So very often I find I have spoken many unhelpful words and am often guilty of the sin of egotism, as he puts it. (I am thankful for very forbearing friends and family!) May I grow by grace to pattern my life around Ephesians 4:29-
"Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear."
No comments:
Post a Comment