Thursday, September 27, 2007

Like a River Glorious

Kathryn woke up sick last night, which made for a quiet day of special time together today since she was still did not seem to be feeling well. Throughout the day, the Lord brought the words of the hymn "Like a River Glorious" to my mind. Here is the first verse and the chorus:

Like a river glorious is God's perfect peace
Over all victorious in its bright increase
Perfect, yet it floweth fuller every day
Perfect, yet it groweth deeper all the way

Stayed upon Jehovah, hearts are fully blessed
Finding as He promised
Perfect peace and rest

As a side note, I've been going through some material on "seasons" of life, preparing for a Womens Ministry event in November. One of the messages I listened to was by Carolyn Mahaney, talking about taking advantage of whatever season you're in at present. It was so convicting and inspiring. She mentioned that with her last child she enjoyed each particular stage more, knowing it would go by so quickly. So with that message still fresh in my mind today, the Lord really spoke to my heart through the words of the hymn. In the midst of lots of cuddle time and neediness, extra feedings, and holding Kathryn a lot, I realized that I loved every minute of it. I don't say that to seem super holy, but to dwell on the fact that apart from God's grace in my life, I would have no peace at all. My life-long temptation has always been to lack contentment and look ahead to the next season of life. So what a pleasant surprise to find myself realizing that God has given me peace and joy in this season of my life. That I didn't want to be anywhere else today than where God had placed me; enjoying my husband, enjoying caring for my daughter, enjoying being home. All glory goes to God, and may He continue this work in me, as there is always more room to grow!

3 comments:

JJandFive said...

Great post, Reba!
Love you : )

Marge said...

Boy, can I relate! Thanks for the reminder, Rebecca. Enjoy your day!

Anonymous said...

I can relate to that a lot too! :)