From Disciplines of a Godly Life (Donald Whitney):
"In some ways we would prefer to hear Jesus' call to deny father and mother, houses, and land for the sake of the gospel, than His word to wash feet. Radical self-denial gives us the feel of adventure. If we forsake all, we even have the chance of glorious martyrdom. But in service we are banished to the mundane the ordinary, the trivial."
This quote stood out to me as I read Donald Whitney's chapter on the discipline of serving. For someone who likes the approval of others, this is quite a challenge. Am I only willing to sacrifice in the "big stuff," that will be noticed by others? Or am I willing to serve in whatever way God would call me to, even if it goes unnoticed by others? Perhaps especially when it goes unnoticed by others. Whitney goes on to say:
"The ministry of serving may be as public as preaching or teaching, but more often it will be as sequestered as nursery duty. It may be as visible as singing a solo, but usually it will be as unnoticed as operating the sound equipment to amplify the solo. Serving may be as appreciated as a good testimony in a worship service, but typically it's as thankless as washing dishes after a church social...Beyond the church walls, serving is baby-sitting for neighbors, taking meals to families in flux, running errands for the homebound, providing transportation for the one whose car breaks down, feeding pets and watering plants for vacationers, and--hardest of all--having a servant's heart in the home."
Am I looking for ways to serve to be noticed by others or in ways that may be only noticed by God? Do I set aside my serving for "big stuff" or am I willing to sacrifice in the "mundane, the ordinary, the trivial"? hmmm. Food for thought.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Thanks for posting this Reba! It is a very good reminder. So many times, if I've served in some way people haven't seen, I find myself wondering, "How can I make sure someone knows I did this?" So against Jesus's heart of service! I appreciate your reminder:)
Anne Malament
Post a Comment