Monday, April 06, 2009

.one month.

Wow- Daniel is one month old today. In some ways it's hard to believe he's already a month old, but then it's hard for me to imagine him not being part of our family. He still feels very much like a newborn, and I still am trying to figure out some basics (like what position he sleeps best in, establishing a routine, etc.) When compared to Kathryn's 2-year-old colorful personality, Daniel seems a bit of a bump on a log. (Bad for me for saying that about my own child! It's okay, Daniel, you'll have personality soon enough...)

At one month old: Daniel loves being held, sleeps a good part of the day, eats at fairly predictable times (most days, anyway), usually only has me getting up once at night to feed him, is not fond of his bassinet, gets MAD when he's mad (it's almost funny), LOVES baths, has record-breaking volume of sound in bodily functions, is a sweet baby with a fairly laid-back personality, and we love him to death.

Today the last meal *sniff* was brought to us. I'm amazed that they lasted this long, helped by not starting until after my mom left. What a HUGE blessing these meals have been. I have not given one thought to cooking or meal planning, and my grocery trips have been quick in and out trips for milk and snack foods. Thankfully my freezer is stocked full, so I have another month or so before I really have to worry about cooking, at which point I think I'll be ready to get back at it. I'm slowly adding in going to meetings, although we've missed a few due to all being sick this week. My main goal for these two weeks are 1)establishing a morning routine, and 2) adding basic household chores back in. This last week has definitely had me on my knees at times, flipping through Psalms for truth and comfort. But overall, I do feel like the Lord is slowly expanding my capacity. I think the hardest thing this month has been learning to "juggle" both kids' schedules and needs...like when both kids are screaming (which happened twice yesterday), figuring out how to meet both kids' needs. But there has been much grace even in those moments of trial, and I am thankful for some sweet times with the Lord this month.

Here are some pictures of the little man:

"Oh My! One Month already??!!? Where has the time gone?"

Happy Boy

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

He is so sweet! God's grace is obviously at work in your life, Rebecca. You're such a good mommy!

Carolyn said...

I remember the hardest part for me of adding baby #2 was when Wesley needed to be disciplined (or otherwise tended to) and Savannah was crying. I hated that! I will pray for you today that God helps you juggle both their needs with a peaceful heart.

Jeanie said...

I think he looks a lot like Kathryn at 1 month :) And it looks like he's putting on some chub too!
Can't wait to see you all soon!! (And thank God for freezer meals :)

Becky Evans said...

I just mailed you a package today, but forgot to put a card in it. Can't wait to meet Daniel this summer. Katie and Lisa's babies will be about the size Daniel is now, (or maybe in 2 weeks) when we are together. Daniel will seem huge then!

Sarah said...

Wow! Daniel has grown so much already!

Anonymous said...

Well, these pictures look all Taylor! I don't think there was ever a stage where I thought that about Kathryn. As for your sleep issues, remember Hayden and Bradford in the Outer Banks as newborns, screaming A LOT including through dinners and much of the night? They, or at least hayden, were the age Daniel is now. I have read that there is such a thing as 45 minute sleep cycles. Some babies really don't sleep much (as your friends attest) or it is more likely a stage.