As I'm slowly getting back into the swing of life now, I think I'm seeing more and more the value of trying to simplify life. I think two things in particular have stood out to me as I'm evaluating this area-
1. Have less stuff
2. Have a place for everything.
I have a tendency to accumulate stuff, and I am the queen of thinking, "well, I might need this someday." These are dangerous thoughts when one lives in a small home. :) So I started asking myself, "do I really need this?" Nick has always encouraged me that less stuff means less to clean up, less to take care of, less to worry about, less clutter in general. And he's totally right.
Do I really need 5 strollers, a Snap n Go, and 6 baby carriers?! (How did I end up with all of those, anyway?) Things have a way of accumulating unless I'm proactive to give them away. Nick's philosophy has been that if we're running low on space, the problem is that we probably have too much stuff, not that we don't have enough room. In comparison with lots of people, our home is very comfortable for 4 people (all I have to do is think about some of the apartments our friends in New York City live in!)
The other thing that, I believe, keeps life feeling simpler is trying to keep things generally organized. You know the old saying, "a place for everything, and everything in its place." I am certainly not an expert in organization, but I do think this is a good goal to strive for. I love the feeling of an uncluttered house, and it really helps when everything has a "home."
1. Have less stuff
2. Have a place for everything.
I have a tendency to accumulate stuff, and I am the queen of thinking, "well, I might need this someday." These are dangerous thoughts when one lives in a small home. :) So I started asking myself, "do I really need this?" Nick has always encouraged me that less stuff means less to clean up, less to take care of, less to worry about, less clutter in general. And he's totally right.
Do I really need 5 strollers, a Snap n Go, and 6 baby carriers?! (How did I end up with all of those, anyway?) Things have a way of accumulating unless I'm proactive to give them away. Nick's philosophy has been that if we're running low on space, the problem is that we probably have too much stuff, not that we don't have enough room. In comparison with lots of people, our home is very comfortable for 4 people (all I have to do is think about some of the apartments our friends in New York City live in!)
The other thing that, I believe, keeps life feeling simpler is trying to keep things generally organized. You know the old saying, "a place for everything, and everything in its place." I am certainly not an expert in organization, but I do think this is a good goal to strive for. I love the feeling of an uncluttered house, and it really helps when everything has a "home."
3 comments:
Rebecca,
Talk to my mom, she might be willing to buy a stroller or 2 off you as well as a baby carrier:)
What a great reminder for me, especially for right now when accumulating all kinds of baby stuff is way too easy. Greg and I so value the example you and Nick are setting and are so blessed to have you as neighbors!
I think that's my snap n go, so don't give that away:)!
Post a Comment