If you have never read Jeremiah Burroughs's book "The Rare Jewel of Christian Contentment", I highly recommend it! Written in 1648, this book is packed with wonderful truth. It's not a "quick read," but the time is worth it- at least, that has been my experience in reading it so far. Here are two quotes I found particularly meaningful.
"A christian comes to contentment, not so much by way of addition, as by way of subraction...not so much by adding to what he would have, or to what he has...but rather by subrtracting from his desires, so as to make his desires and his circumstances even and equal." (pg. 43)
"I know nothing more effective for quieting a Christian soul and getting contentment than this, setting your heart to work in the duties of the immmediate circumstances that you are now in...." (pg. 52)
What good truths to be challenged by...I certainly am! How often do I find myself looking ahead to the next thing or wishing something else in my life instead of quietly taking joy in the duty that the Lord has given me today.
2 comments:
Reba, Thanks for sharing this! It's a timely word of encouragement for my often discontented heart. Miss you & will call you back tomorrow!
Sounds like a book I need to read! Contentment is a daily struggle for me. Thanks for the recommendation, Rebecca.
Marge
BTW, I found it free online at http://housechurch.org/spirituality/burroughs_jewell.html
Post a Comment