Well, for those of you who haven't already heard the excitement of Kathryn's birth, I thought I would write a brief summary of the events.
Thursday started off nice and relaxed with my Mom. She treated me to a manicure and pedicure, which was very fun. Then we did some errands, which is when I started thinking I was maybe having "real" contractions. Nothing really painful, but stronger than usual. They started coming about every 20 minutes, and I remember thinking that it was interesting that they were coming regularly. However, I didn't want to get my hopes up that this was "it." We ate dinner and then I decided that maybe I should take a nap, since the contractions seemed more like 10 minutes apart. I figured they would probably go away while lying down, figuring they were more braxton hicks contractions. At 8:30 I got up, and I remember being surprised that I was still having these contractions and started thinking this might really be the real deal. So I called our doula and some friends to tell them that I thought this might be labor. I think we started timing contractions at 9pm, and quite quickly the contractions went from 10 minutes apart to 5 minutes apart to 2-3 minutes apart. At around 9:45 the doula arrived, and we all figured I had hours yet to go, so we hadn't called the doctor. In fact, I still had a list of things to pack in my suitcase. Sometime around 10, maybe a little after, I started feeling a lot of pressure and the contractions were coming consistantly around 2 minutes apart. I remember saying something like, "I want an epidural! Why did I want to do this naturally?" all the while thinking I was only in the beginning stages of labor. Then I think it dawned on all of us that these contractions were only getting stronger and closer together and we still had a 15 minute drive to the hospital. In quite a flurry, Nick and my mom tried to find the rest of the things on my list to pack and got the car ready to go. On the ride over there, I felt like I really had to push. I said, "I have to push! I can't not push. I think I can feel the baby coming out!" My mom went between reciting Psalm 23 and saying "DON'T PUSH!!!" What felt like a looong time later, we pulled up to the emergency room entrance and I stumbled on Nick's arm to the maternity ward. After very calmly greeting us saying things like, "1st baby? And contractions started at 8?" our doula said something like "Yes, her first, but she says she needs to push. I think this baby is coming soon!" They rushed me into a delivery room and a nurse checked me, to find out that I was 10 cm. and ready to push! What a relief to hear that! They couldn't find Kathryn's heart beat and the nurses kind of panicked. The doctor on the floor came in since my doctor had not had time to arrive yet. She calmly assessed the situation and made clear that this baby should come now. So with 3 or so big pushes, out came Little Peanut! Check in to the hospital= 10:55. Baby born 11:04. 9 minutes to spare! Whew! All in all, I think we were all a little shell-shocked at the rapidity of all of the events of the evening. We certainly did not intend to cut it so close! But we were thrilled to see our sweet little Kathryn healthy as can be. I think next time around we will go to the hospital much sooner! :) But thanks be to the Lord for his protection over us and for bringing Kathryn into the world safe and healthy. Thanks for all your prayers!
Thursday started off nice and relaxed with my Mom. She treated me to a manicure and pedicure, which was very fun. Then we did some errands, which is when I started thinking I was maybe having "real" contractions. Nothing really painful, but stronger than usual. They started coming about every 20 minutes, and I remember thinking that it was interesting that they were coming regularly. However, I didn't want to get my hopes up that this was "it." We ate dinner and then I decided that maybe I should take a nap, since the contractions seemed more like 10 minutes apart. I figured they would probably go away while lying down, figuring they were more braxton hicks contractions. At 8:30 I got up, and I remember being surprised that I was still having these contractions and started thinking this might really be the real deal. So I called our doula and some friends to tell them that I thought this might be labor. I think we started timing contractions at 9pm, and quite quickly the contractions went from 10 minutes apart to 5 minutes apart to 2-3 minutes apart. At around 9:45 the doula arrived, and we all figured I had hours yet to go, so we hadn't called the doctor. In fact, I still had a list of things to pack in my suitcase. Sometime around 10, maybe a little after, I started feeling a lot of pressure and the contractions were coming consistantly around 2 minutes apart. I remember saying something like, "I want an epidural! Why did I want to do this naturally?" all the while thinking I was only in the beginning stages of labor. Then I think it dawned on all of us that these contractions were only getting stronger and closer together and we still had a 15 minute drive to the hospital. In quite a flurry, Nick and my mom tried to find the rest of the things on my list to pack and got the car ready to go. On the ride over there, I felt like I really had to push. I said, "I have to push! I can't not push. I think I can feel the baby coming out!" My mom went between reciting Psalm 23 and saying "DON'T PUSH!!!" What felt like a looong time later, we pulled up to the emergency room entrance and I stumbled on Nick's arm to the maternity ward. After very calmly greeting us saying things like, "1st baby? And contractions started at 8?" our doula said something like "Yes, her first, but she says she needs to push. I think this baby is coming soon!" They rushed me into a delivery room and a nurse checked me, to find out that I was 10 cm. and ready to push! What a relief to hear that! They couldn't find Kathryn's heart beat and the nurses kind of panicked. The doctor on the floor came in since my doctor had not had time to arrive yet. She calmly assessed the situation and made clear that this baby should come now. So with 3 or so big pushes, out came Little Peanut! Check in to the hospital= 10:55. Baby born 11:04. 9 minutes to spare! Whew! All in all, I think we were all a little shell-shocked at the rapidity of all of the events of the evening. We certainly did not intend to cut it so close! But we were thrilled to see our sweet little Kathryn healthy as can be. I think next time around we will go to the hospital much sooner! :) But thanks be to the Lord for his protection over us and for bringing Kathryn into the world safe and healthy. Thanks for all your prayers!
4 comments:
What an exciting and wonderful story. I think it is awesome that you did it naturally!
My labor was 4-5 hours, but since it was induced it didn't feel fast. I can imagine that being home and wondering "is this it?" for most of the first part would make it seem really fast. All that dilating you did beforehand really paid off! ;)
Rebecca! That's out of control! What a story...Congrats all over again. I'm just so excited for you two.
Love, ariel
We want more pictures!!
I just love your story : )
Post a Comment