"A humbling spirit, a deep conviction of utter nothingness, is a most adorning grace. Nor is it an ocassional or temporary feeling, the result of some unexpected disclosure, but a habit that clothes a person from head to toe. It combines the highest elevation of joy upon humble hearts. His sweet dews and showers of grace slide off the mountains of pride and fall on the low valleys of humble hearts and make them pleasant and fertile. But the soul that swells with pride has no room for God's humbling grace." Charles Bridges' commentary on Proverbs 3:34
How often my heart does swell with pride and self-righteousness. I would love to grow in humility, as Bridges describes it. That it would be my joy to be brought low, to rely utterly and completely on the Savior, not on my own wisdom and strength. Because only then will I truly experience God's enabling grace to walk in a manner worthy of the Gospel. This is my prayer!
On a different note, I'm hoping to go on a personal retreat later today (thank you, Jeanie, for offering to watch Kathryn!) I really haven't gone on one since before Kathryn was born, and I think it will be a helpful time to reevaluate my priorities. If you think of it, you can pray that my time will be fruitful. Also, Kathryn may be getting sick, in which case I may have to postpone. I'll keep you posted. You can also pray for Nick, Joe, John, and Mike as they're taking their ordination exam today and tomorrow.
How often my heart does swell with pride and self-righteousness. I would love to grow in humility, as Bridges describes it. That it would be my joy to be brought low, to rely utterly and completely on the Savior, not on my own wisdom and strength. Because only then will I truly experience God's enabling grace to walk in a manner worthy of the Gospel. This is my prayer!
On a different note, I'm hoping to go on a personal retreat later today (thank you, Jeanie, for offering to watch Kathryn!) I really haven't gone on one since before Kathryn was born, and I think it will be a helpful time to reevaluate my priorities. If you think of it, you can pray that my time will be fruitful. Also, Kathryn may be getting sick, in which case I may have to postpone. I'll keep you posted. You can also pray for Nick, Joe, John, and Mike as they're taking their ordination exam today and tomorrow.
1 comment:
Hey Rebecca...I'll be praying for all of those things! Humility...doesn't it just remind us how our sin is still so large. May the Lord teach us all to grow in His character...to be humble and to desire that more than we desire our own ways. Thanks for sharing! Robin M
Post a Comment