I've been slowly making my way through Jerry Bridges' book, Discipline of Grace. For those who have not read it, I highly recommend it. I have been enjoying some quiet time reading while Kathryn is down for her nap, and I thought I would share some from this book...
In talking of commitment to God and the pursuit of holiness, he writes:
"A loving response to God's grace and mercy is the only motive acceptable to God for commitment...And it is the continual reminding of ourselves of His grace and mercy that provides the only enduring motivation to sustain such a commitment and keep it from becoming oppressive. That is why we must preach the gospel to ourselves every day.
...An all-out, nothing-held-back commitment to the pursuit of holiness may be exhausting, but it will not be oppressive if it is grounded in grace. But to be grounded in grace, it must be continually referred back to the gospel. So don't just preach the gospel to yourself every day merely to experience the cleansing of your conscience. You certainly need to do so for that reason. But as you do so, reaffirm, as a response of love and gratitude to God, your commitment to Him. And do so in reliance on His Spirit that by His grace He will enable you to carry out your commitment."
I am so often tempted to pursue holiness in my own strength by taking on the mentality of pulling myself up by my "bootstraps." But that kind of commitment will always fail and lead to legalism. What a good reminder that my motivation to pursue holiness is a "loving response to God's grace and mercy."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I love that book!
Thanks Reba! It was such a great reminder that I ALWAYS need!
Post a Comment