Monday, December 03, 2007

Christmas Time...Already?!?

I must admit, December has snuck up on me this year. The last two years I put Christmas stuff up around the house the day after Thanksgiving, and as of now, none of it is even down from the attic. And I even found myself thinking I might forgo decorating the house this year *ghasp!* Okay, so I won't really forgo it, but I did think about it. So perhaps after I get done with this post I will haul the tubs down from the attic. We are looking forward to traveling to see both of our families again this year, which is always a fun time for us. Oftentimes people look amazed when I tell them our agenda of traveling, but for us, we love spending the time with each of our families. I think part of what has helped is that Christmas has never really been tied to a specific day, so most of our real celebration times are not on the 25th. We have ours the 17th or 18th, then with the Swans on the 24th, then with my family around the 28th. I do look forward to establishing some more of our own traditions as Kathryn gets older. One of our favorite traditions is decorating an ornament each year by writing around the outside all the things that characterize that year. So this year we will have Kathryn's birth, moving back to Charlotte, Nick starting his new job, etc. And then we stick a rolled up piece of paper inside the ornament with all of our prayer requests for the coming year. I don't remember all of what we put on last year's, but I know we included a healthy baby, and that we would be able to come back to Charlotte. It is such a neat time of seeing how the Lord has answered prayers, both in ways we hoped for and ways that surprised us. So now let me hear from all of you- what is your favorite Christmas tradition? You can write about them in your comments. :)

I think this is our final Christmas picture...and in case I don't manage to get it printed in time and distributed, I thought I'd put it on here as well. Thanks to Jeanie for taking the picture!

8 comments:

Robin said...

I love that! I love that you don't have a specific celebration date but that you celebrate with the folks you love most of the month! I also really like the Christmas ornament idea....what a treasure. We have always done something (or tried to) with an advent tree, and reading through scriptures to see God's awesome plan at work in sending Jesus. For several years, we had a huge wrapped box with MANY smaller boxes inside and as you opened each box there were scriptures and each box contained a word that was one of the Lord's many gifts to us as believers. We haven't done that one in a while. I just might have to update that one....maybe tweek it a bit. BUT, the craziest thing is my family always got up EARLY...I'm talking like 3am to have Christmas. (Ask me about it sometime.)We don't do that so much now...all the kids are grown up pretty much, and enjoy their sleep. I think my sister's girls still do, but they go back to bed. And, the other tradition is that the whole family, well all who live in the area, meet at someone's house for breakfast. That is always fun! Thanks for sharing, and the picture is GREAT!

Grammie Jan said...

What a beautiful picture of the three of you!!! I love your ornament tradition....

Because of our trip to see Tim in Morocco (we were in Marrakech for Thanksgiving) we didn't get the house decorated until this past weekend. Now I know why I do it on Thanksgiving Day -- lots of people around to help.

OK, so one of our favorite traditions is sitting in the balcony at College Church for the C'mas Eve service (best view of the candle-lighting while singing Silent Night) and reciting Luke 2 along with the reading of it in the King James Version.

Traditions change as families change. If I could, I'd have our whole family here every year for the Christmas week. That's not to be, however...

But our newest one is called "not cooking Christmas dinner, having hors d'ouevres instead" and I love it!

Jan Barger

meghann said...

oh my reba!!! you look beautiful!!!!(AS ALWAYS)

Jeanie said...

You all do look great in the picture! Glad one turned out :)

Lindsay said...

GREAT picture!!! And what a wonderful tradition! I used to have both of my sisters sleep with me on Christmas Eve and we would read the Polar Express. Now we are going to start making a birthday cake for Jesus with the girls. I want to have more traditions though.

Anonymous said...

What a great pic! I really miss you, Rebea. I'd love to be able to catch up with you sometime soon.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful family!

JJandFive said...

Wow! Jeanie did great! Fabulous picture!!!