Saturday, May 03, 2008

Great Quote from Piper

Last night Nick and I listened to one of the recorded panel discussions from Together for the Gospel. This was the panel discussion with Mark Dever, Al Mohler, CJ Mahaney, and Ligon Duncan interviewing John Piper after his message. For a full list of downloads, you can go here.
After listening to Piper's message from the conference on living a life of radical sacrifice, this panel discussion was a wonderful addition to the message. During the message Piper mentioned that he loved that he had a church full of "strong women." He elaborates by saying:

"I love strong women. I think they are magnificent testimonies to Christ because if they're complimentarian, then they're combining things the world can't explain. They're combining a sweet, tender, kind, loving, submissive, feminine beauty with this massive steel in their backs and theology in their brain."

This idea seems right in line with Proverbs 31
vs. 17 "She dresses herself with strength and makes her arms strong."
vs. 25 "strength and dignity are her clothing"

I find this picture so helpful. Even as Nick and I were talking about it, I was challenged to want to study more, think more deeply, press into the Lord more fully. How does this quote strike you? Curious to hear thoughts.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like that quote. I think of you as a strong woman, in a good way. I hope to be one too! Some would have us think that we are supposed to be wishy-washy and belittle the importance of a woman's knowledge or theology, but surely God wants us to use those things to serve our families and church.

Spirit of Adoption said...

I love it!!! Piper says his wife, Noel, is like velvet steel. I've always loved that picture!!!