Monday, August 04, 2008

18 Months and a Visit to the Fountains

This morning I took Kathryn to the Birkdale Fountains, since we were up that way for her 18 month check-up. At first she wasn't at all sure about the water, and she would cling to me when I tried to bring her near. After about 30-45 minutes, I think she suddenly realized that it might be fun to join the other kids splashing around, and she loved it! Here are a few pictures of our outing...as you can see, little Missy is getting quite the personality!

"Ooo, I look cool in these."

"Hey, this is FUN!"


Striking a "model" pose

Never too young, right? :)
Life with an 18-month-old keeps me busy! It is such an interesting (and sometimes perplexing) transition from baby to toddler, where it really feels like a whole new set of joys and challenges than I experienced a year ago in the mothering realm. I love watching Kathryn developing, as she's learning new words (about 25 words or signs now) and can really communicate what she needs or wants. I love that she's very cuddly at night now and will ask me to sing "Jses" (Jesus Loves Me) and "Apita" (The B-I-B-L-E)- don't ask me how I can translate some of her jibberish. :) I love how she plays with her babies and little dolls, trying to wrap them up in blankets and push them in her stroller. I love that she loves books and will back up into my lap with a book for me to read. Along with the joys of this season has come a new dependence on the Lord for wisdom and guidance as Nick and I are given a huge responsibility to steward her little soul for the short years she'll be under our roof. I'm certainly seeing now that things are less black and white than I imagined before having kids. I'm grateful for the newfound hunger for the Lord's presence and strength, even though it's not easy. I'm grateful that even though I can not love and care for Kathryn in my own strength, I have much stronger arms around me, giving me grace for each new day. And I am grateful that I can do all things through Him who strengthens me...comforting words indeed.

6 comments:

Anne said...

I love how her cup (and the starbucks cup) are half as big as her! Those are really cute pictures.

The Nilsen Nest said...

So cute! Even though I love that Audrey's still a little tiny lady, I'm looking forward to the stage Kathryn is in. The challenging parts, not as much :) but I know the Lord is our stronghold. Glad there are many, including you, who have gone before me so I will have lots of great advice!

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad we were able to get together last night! :) Thanks for your encouragement and the wisdom you shared with me, and for praying for me too! I hope you have a wonderful week, and that it passes quickly for you, til Nick gets home :)

3orange1blonde said...

I love the age where they start knowing what they want and signing it to you! I remember talking back to Skye on a video I replayed. He was "talking" up a storm--"godo ghiklei lgowi kjwl!!" and I would respond to him, "yes, sweetie, we can go to Balboa Park today". I was cracking up!! How I understood him, I don't know. It's so fun tho, isn't it? God's hand, for sure.

3orange1blonde said...

One more thing about Starbucks---they put special stuff in their drinks to attract not only adults, but especially children...watch out and beware!!hee! I remember visiting Julz one time when Noah was very little and John taking him after we ate to Starbucks and just trying, in my very non-discreet way, to keep my jaw from hanging open. Now when we drive through, I always ask Skye, "what would you like babe?" he says, "a blended fruit smoothie please."!!!

Anonymous said...

Amen, sista!

I enjoyed being with you and your little cutie this week. You're doing a great job (even though I can tell you've got your hands full)!