I just finished reading John Piper's "What's the Difference: Manhood and Womanhood Defined According to the Bible." I highly recommend it as a good and also concise book on the subject of Biblical manhood and womanhood. At the end of the book, Piper has a chapter which is essentially his challenge and prayer for Christian men and women. In his challenge to women, he writes:
"[I pray] that you not assume that secular emplyment is a greater challenge or a better use of your life than the countless opportunities of service and witness in the home, the neighborhood, the community, the church, and the world; that you not only pose the question; career or full-time homemaker?, but that you ask just as seriously: full-time career or freedom for ministry?"
This quote struck me in asking myself if I view my life as full-time ministry. As a stay at home wife and mom of two young children, my main calling is to be a loving wife to Nick, manage our home, and mother Kathryn and Daniel. In a sense, these three areas are a ministry in and of themselves. But beyond that, am I looking at my life as a full-time mission field? Am I using extra down time to follow through with things to bless others? Things like praying for loved ones in my life, writing an encouraging note to a friend, following up with someone in Care Group over email, chatting with my unsaved neighbor? Sadly, these are things that I often think, "I should do this..." and then never follow through. And it's not always for lack of time. So freshly challenged, I am trying to be more faithful with my time to orient myself towards others. Here's another part of Piper's challenge:
"[I pray] that you be totally committed to ministry, whatever your specific calling; that you not fritter your time away on soaps or women's magazines or unimportant hobbies or shopping; that you redeem the time for Christ and his Kingdom."
May I walk in a manner worthy of my calling...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I was struck by the same quotes when I read the book. Great thoughts! And I am amazed you found time to read and think so deeply! I certainly didn't when I had a 1 month old :) Miss you! Sorry we're playing phone tag!
Thanks for sharing this Rebecca! What a wonderful challenge and reminder. I know my time is often "frittered". I so desire to be more purposeful!
Post a Comment