Wednesday, April 01, 2009

.homemade bread.

It's another rainy day here, and it's a perfect day to fill the house with the smell of homemade bread. We're having soup and bread for dinner tonight, and I thought I'd post the recipe that I almost exclusively use anymore when I make honey wheat bread. It is so yummy! I use my bread machine to make the dough, then cook the bread in the oven, so I'll post directions doing it that way (very easy!) Here's a link, though, to the original recipe if you don't have a bread machine.

HONEY WHEAT BREAD

Ingredients:

  • 3/4 cup warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
  • 1 (.25 ounce) package rapid rise yeast
  • 1 teaspoon white sugar
  • 1 (12 oz) can evaporated milk- I usually just use regular milk warmed in the microwave to room temp, but evaporated milk makes it extra yummy.
  • 1/4 cup melted shortening (I use butter)
  • 1/4 cup honey
  • 2 cups whole wheat flour
  • 3 cups bread flour
  • 2 teaspoons salt
2 tablespoons butter

Directions:
  1. Place water, yeast, and sugar in bread machine and let it sit for a few minutes
  2. Add all the rest of the ingredients (in order) through salt.
  3. Set bread machine to DOUGH setting and press Start. I usually watch to make sure the dough gets into a ball...you might have to add a little more flour. Or water if it's too dry. On my bread machine, this cycle takes an hour and 20 min.
  4. When the dough is done, punch down. Divide in two.
  5. Roll out dough flat with a rolling pin, then roll up dough into a loaf, tucking the ends under and pinching the seams.
  6. Place seam-side down in two greased 9x5 loaf pans, butter tops, and cover loosely with saran wrap. Let rise in a warm place til double, about 30 min.
  7. Place a small pan of hot water on the bottom shelf of the oven. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
  8. Bake for 25 to 35 minutes (20-25 min in my oven), or until tops are dark golden brown. Butter crusts while warm. Slice when cool.

1 comment:

Jeanie said...

I can affirm how awesome this bread is! Last time you brought us some it was gone in a day :)