Thursday, July 15, 2010

Favorite Pre-School Reads

Here are some of my favorite fiction books for Kathryn. I particularly love reading books that I remember reading as a child, like The Giving Tree and Make Way for Ducklings.

Where the Wild Things Are
by Maurice Sendak
I actually don't quite understand all the hype about this book, but it is fun to read aloud, and Kathryn loves it. And it is a timeless classic. So it makes my list.

The Story About Ping
by Marjorie Flack


The Giving Tree
by Shel Silverstien


Blueberries for Sal
by Robert McCloskey
Love this one. Such a classic.

The BOB books
by Bobby Maslen
Recommended by a friend, these are great beginner reading books. While not thrilling stories (Sam Sat. Cat Sat. Cat sat on Sam, etc.), I think they'll be really helpful once Kathryn starts putting phonics together.

Knuffle Bunny: A Cautionary Tale
by Mo Willems
Came across this one on our last library trip. Set in what looks like our old stomping grounds in New York City, Trixie and her Daddy take a trip to the laundromat and accidentally leave Trixie's bunny at the laundromat. Kathryn loves this one, and I'll hear her saying to herself, "Trixie and her Daddy went past the school, through the park, and into the laundromat..." A great find.



If you Give a Mouse a Cookie
by Laura Numeroff

Little Bunny's Bathtime
by Jane Johnson


Make Way for Ducklings
by Robert McCloskey
Who couldn't love the tale of Jack, Kack, Lack, Mack, Nack, Oack, Pack, and Quack?


Curious George Rides a Bike
by H. A. Rey
I've read several Curious George books, and this one has been my favorite.

Next up- Favorite Pre-School spiritual/character development books.

1 comment:

Hilary Ann said...

Oh, so many of those are my favorite childhood books, too. The Story about Ping, Blueberries for Sal, Make way for ducklings, and If you give a mouse a cookie! We've already started buying them for Zach's collection!

If you haven't read any of the Billy and Blaze books by CW Anderson, that's another good series that you'd probably like, too! I'm pretty sure you can request them through the library.