My parents were able to come for the weekend, and we had a wonderful time together. I must admit, it was a bit of a whirlwind visit since they arrived Friday night and took off this morning ( Monday). But we managed to fit quite a lot in 2 days! On Saturday we went into D.C. and went to the Holocaust Museum and an exhibit of the first 1000 years of the Bible. This time in the Holocaust Museum, we were able to see the main exhibit...how sobering. I'm afraid we didn't have our timing very well planned, though, since it was about 12:45 when we got on the elevator, and on our way up the museum staff told us that most people take 3-3 1/2 hours to get through, but that there was 12 hours of material! We hadn't eaten our packed lunch yet, so we were a little unsure as to how we would make it throught he whole thing! But we did manage to sneak eating granola bars during one of the exhibit's short films. On the whole, the exhibit was very thought-provoking and sobering. I think by the end we were all ready for an emotional break. So we headed to the cold outside and ate our lunches on a bench (at 3:30 pm!) on the Mall green. After getting some coffee and hot chocolate from a nearby vendor to finish off our meal, we wandered down to the WWII Memorial. After that we headed to the Smithsonian to see an exhibit of old, old Bible texts, all before 1000 AD. Although I have a little bit of a hard time fully engaging in exhibits like that, it was pretty fascinating to think how old some of these pages were.
Dad and Me at the WWII Memorial
1 comment:
That picture of you and your dad is so cute!
It does sound like a whirlwind of a visit.
And I understand the sobering reality of the Holocaust. While in Germany a few years ago we visited Dachau... It's not something your heart really wants to do, but what happened was Real and deserves Remembering Always. But it's painful, emotionally.
I'll email you later, but we'll be in Charlotte the week between Christmas/New Year's. I guess we'll miss you?
Post a Comment