"In a fallen world there is a powerful pressure to constrict your life to the shape and size of your life. There is a compelling tendency to forget who you are and what you were made for. There is a tendency to be short-sighted, myopic, and easily distracted. There is a tendency to settle for less when you have been created for more." pg. 22
I think this is particularly true in this season. It's so easy for me to become so focused on day to day things like getting all my chores done, nap schedule, my schedule, messes, decorating the house...etc.
"Ask yourself: What makes your good day a good day? What are the things that tend to make you happy and satisfied? What gives your life a sense of meaning and purpose? What are the things you faithfully pursue, and what are you hoping to experience once you get them? If I watched the video of your last year, what treasure would I conclude you're after?" pg. 53
"Things as mundane as wardrobe, menu, schedule, workload, location, traffic, weather, being right, getting affirmed, money, housing, employment, gardens, family rooms, sex, leisure, who's in the bathroom first, who did what with my newspaper, who ate the last of the cereal, etc.--all of which are important in some way-- rise to a spiritually dangerous level in the heat of the moment...day after day, week after week, year after year, these little moments set the character of a person's life." pg. 31
"There is a rich and satisfying life to be found. There are delights to be known that will transcend anything you could plan or achieve for yourself...But these things will never be found as long as you are holding tightly to your life." pg. 121
And lastly:
"Hope. What are you hoping for? What basket have you put all of your eggs in? Where do you tend to say, "If only I had_____, then my life would be great"? What do you look forward to and hope that you can experience? What occupies your mind and controls your dreams? Are you constantly investing in what can't deliver and won't last? IS Christ your hope? IS he the solid rock on which your life stands? When Christ is my hope, he becomes the one thing in which I have confidence." pg. 107
3 comments:
Thank you Rebecca! Those quotes are great! I'll have to read that book. I am so easily tempted to be caught up in my own little world.
I've been wanting to read that! Thanks for sharing!!!
I am reading that book too and really loving it.
Post a Comment