Wednesday, November 19, 2008

New Recipe

I like to try new recipes every now and then, and it seems like a lot of the ones I've tried recently have not gone over super well. But I think I found one that's a keeper. We had it for dinner 2 nights ago, and it was delicious! Healthy, too, which is always a plus. AND most of the ingredients (with the exception of the multigrain pasta) can be found at Aldi, even a bigger bonus!

Three Cheese Chicken Penne Pasta Bake

1 1/2 c. multigrain penne pasta, uncooked
1 pkg. (9 oz) fresh spinach leaves
1 lb. boneless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces (I used two small chicken breasts to save meat)
1 tsp. dried basil leaves
1 jar (14 1/2 oz) spaghetti sauce
1 can (14 1/2 oz) diced tomatoes, drained
2 oz. Neufchatel Cheese, cubed (could also use cream cheese)
1 c. (I used a little more) part skim Mozzarella cheese
2 T. parmesan cheese

Heat oven to 375.
Cook pasta, adding spinach to boiling water for last 1 minute.
Cook and stir chicken and basil in large nonstick skillet on medium-high heat 3 min.
Add sauce and tomatoes; bring to boil
Simmer 3 min. or until chicken is done.
Stir in Neufchatel cheese
Drain pasta mixture; return to pan.
Stir in chicken mixture and 1/2 c. mozzarella (I used 1 c. for this), spoon into 2-qt. baking dish
Bake 20 min. Sprinkle with remaining cheeses. Bake 3 minutes.

7 comments:

Becky Evans said...

Sounds delicious. I printed it out to try it.

Ashley said...

This sounds really yummy. I think I will have to try it. Thanks for sharing! =)

Anne said...

This sounds really good Reba! I will have to give it a try. And I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who tries to save meat:)

Anonymous said...

That sounds sooo yummy! (not quite on my kids diet though)

Mrs. Reyes said...

It has all things I LOVE - chicken, pasta, CHEESE...I will definitely try this one. And I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who finds Aldi availability a plus. :)

Becky Evans said...

I tried the recipe last night and it was great. Did you send this to your mom for the book she is making?

Mrs. Reyes said...

Tried it and it was great! I didn't have mozzarella cheese or diced tomatoes, and it was still EXCELLENT. I used macaroni noodles too because that's what I had. Definitely a hit - thanks!