Thursday, July 16, 2009

.yummy bran muffins.

I recently came upon this recipe for Refrigerator Bran Muffins while on a search for healthy, yummy, filling muffins for a quick breakfast or snack. I have modified the recipe below, if you care to try it. I have made 4 batches of these in the last 3 weeks; they are really yummy.

Six Week Refrigerator Bran Muffins

Ingredients:
1 c. boiling water
1 c. whole bran cereal (I have been using Fiber One Honey Clusters)
1/4 c. canola oil
1/4 c. applesauce
1 c. sugar
2 eggs
2 cups buttermilk (I have also used 2 cups of regular milk with 2 T. of lemon juice, but the thick buttermilk does make a yummy recipe)
2 1/2 c. all-purpose flour (I use half WW flour)
2 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
2 cups whole bran cereal

Directions:
1. In a large bowl, add boiling water to the first cup of bran cereal, cool
2. Mix together oil, applesauce, sugar, eggs, and buttermilk. Add to bran mixture.
3. Stir in flour, baking soda, and salt.
4. Fold in 2 cups of bran cereal. Stir only until moistened.
5. Bake in preheated oven 425 degrees for 15-20 minutes.
Makes about 2 dozen muffins.

This batter can supposedly stay in the fridge for 6 weeks, but we've been going through them so quickly it hasn't lasted that long!

No comments: