
Kathryn is full of life, personality, opinions, and sweetness. And she is ALL girl! Her favorite things to do are dress up (the picture above is how she's dressed most days) and play with her princesses. She seems to have an eye for beautiful things, something we have not had to teach her. The other day we were in Hobby Lobby, and as we passed by the silk flower section, Kathryn danced down the aisle, spinning in circles, saying in a dramatic flourish, "Oh Mommy, it's like a dream! The flowers are as beautiful as I've ever seen! It's like a dream come true!" I started laughing right there in the store. She loves wearing dresses (it's like punishment for her when I make her wear jeans or pants) and loves when I dress up too. She'll look at my dresses and say, "Oh, Mommy! We're both princesses now!" She also has started 'singing' around the house, usually to her own little tune with her own made-up words. Her songs will go something like this:
"The Glory of God!
Jesus died on the cross for our sins
I have a bunny and blanket
The window is shut
I have princesses
I have a nightgown hanging in my room..."
It's pretty funny some of the stuff she incorporates into her little tunes.

Nick and I have both noticed a lot of growth in Kathryn, as she's learning to respond to our directions and obey. There are definitely still challenging days, but on the whole, I feel like Kathryn is much easier to parent. Probably the hardest situations for me are when she has emotional meltdowns about the smallest things. Although these days are hard, I'm thankful that God has given me a window into my own weaknesses, as I see so much of myself in her.
Along with growing in obedience, Kathryn is getting a lot better at sitting still as well as entertaining herself, which makes my life a lot easier. Our recent thing has been reading the kids version of the "Pilgrim's Progress." I'm amazed that she'll actually sit and listen for 20 or so minutes while I read. Granted, her favorite chapter is one titled "The Fight." Along those lines, we had to banish Lion, Witch, and the Wardrobe from her movie repertoire for a while since her favorite part is "the part where the lion is killed." Hmmm, still some work to do... :)

About 3 or 4 months ago, Kathryn started expressing how much she loved Nick and me, which is so sweet. She'll just be walking around the house and randomly say, "Mommy, I love you!" Those moments in motherhood are so precious. I try to savor these sweet times. I think I'm realizing more and more how sweet and precious this time is while the kids are little, and everyone keeps telling me how fast it goes by, so I'm trying to soak it all in. And while I don't think I would have said 2 was my favorite age, 3 is so much fun!
No comments:
Post a Comment